Before you start work
If you’d like to complete health and social care training before looking for a job, there are a range of relevant courses to choose from. They are all accessed through colleges, training providers and universities across Devon.
Education for 13-19 year olds, Apprenticeships and Training
- Exeter College: Offer apprenticeship and training programmes in health and social care from level 1 to degree level 6.
- The Care Academy (Petroc College): Has campuses in Tiverton and Barnstaple offering health and social care courses from level 2 to degree level 6. It provides student with real-life work placements alongside their studies.
- Scott College: As a specialist medicine, social and health care state school, the college offers work experience linked directly to employment opportunities in Plymouth. The college is designed for 13 to 19-year-olds.
- South Devon College (Paignton): Offers health and social care courses from level 1 to degree level 6, with full and part-time options, including vocational work placements.
- City College Plymouth: Offer apprenticeships and traineeships in health and social care for students of all ages. It provides a range of skills and hands on experience.
- South Devon University Technical College: Specialise in health and care qualifications alongside GCSE’s and A-Levels
Entry to degree level courses
City College Plymouth offers health and social care courses from entry to degree level. You can gain work experience and placement opportunities, choose from full and part-time study and fit the course around your lifestyle.
Access Courses for adults (19+)
If you’re thinking about a degree programme as an adult, then you may need to take an access course as part of your entry requirements. There are opportunities for this to be funded if you continue with a degree after the access qualification. Access to Higher Education (HE) is an intensive one-year programme designed to prepare students, who may not have the necessary qualifications (e.g. A Levels), for university study. Find more information on colleges that offer Access Courses here:
Undergraduate, postgraduate and research degrees
The University of Exeter’s College of Medicine and Health offers undergraduate, postgraduate and research degrees in medicine, nursing and allied health professions.
The University of Plymouth offers a wide range of undergraduate degree programmes including Dental Therapy and Hygiene, Nursing, Midwifery, Dietetics, Occupational Therapy, Optometry, Paramedic Science, Physiotherapy, Podiatry and Social Work. Having recently introduced integrated masters in Occupational Therapy and Physiotherapy, Plymouth offers the opportunity for you to get ahead in your career. Already have a degree, but want a change of career? We offer postgraduate programmes in Human Nutrition, Occupational Therapy and Physiotherapy. For more information on all of our courses please visit our website.
There is also the option to study from home or around your work with the Open University.
Operating Department Practice
A two-year Diploma programme, delivered with the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital, prepares you for work as an Operating Department Practitioner. This is a vital part of the operating theatre team, with a different challenge every day. Find more information on the course website.